Tri-Tip, often called California Cut, Bottom Sirloin Tip or Triangle Roast, is a rich and meaty cut. Seared then braised with hearty vegetables, this will be a campfire crowd pleaser. A single Tri-Tip from the grocery store ranges from 1.5-2.5lbs and will typically feed 4-6 people.
- 2 1/2 lb Tri-Tip Beef Roast (often called California Cut, Bottom Sirloin Tip or Triangle Roast)
- 2 tbsp Shortening or Vegetable Oil
- 6 medium Carrots -- peeled, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 8 medium Red Potatoes -- Quartered
- 2 medium White Onions -- peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp Dried Rosemary; crumbled -- OR 3 tbsp Fresh Rosemary
- 3/4 Cup Water
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre Heat Dutch Oven to 350 Degrees
- Pat Dry the Tri-Tip with Paper Towels and season all sides liberally with salt and pepper
- Heat Shortening or Vegetable Oil in Dutch oven.
- Once Oil is Hot, Brown the Tri-Tip for 2-3 Minutes on all sides to achieve a caramelized exterior
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, season lightly with salt and pepper cooked covered for 35-45 Minutes
- Using a meat thermometer, remove from the fire, cut and serve when the roast achieves your desired doneness. We recommend Medium (140-150F Degrees internal temp)