Arroz Con Pollo is an easy one-pot meal of Chicken Pieces and flavor-packed Spanish-style rice. We use Mild Chunky Salsa here for added flavor and little prep!
If you’ve never cooked Spanish rice, you’re in for a treat. Using regular long-grain white rice, you simply toast or fry the rice in oil, stirring constantly until lightly browned. This adds a nutty and rich flavor but also adds sturdiness to the rice and reduces starchiness. Once you try this method of preparation, you’re going to want to do it again and again.
- 6 lbs Chicken Pieces (We Suggest a whole Chicken cut into 8 Pieces but if you prefer Drumsticks, Thighs or Breasts that will work!)
- 4 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 Cups Long Grain White Rice, Uncooked
- 1 Bottle (16oz) Mild Chunky Salsa
- 2 Cups, Chicken Broth or Chicken Stock (or 2 Cups Water with Chicken Bouillon)
- 1/4 Medium White Onion, Diced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Chile Powder (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat Dutch Oven to 350F Degrees
- Add Vegetable Oil and Rice to the pot and Fry the rice for 4-5 minutes until turned from translucent, to white, to toasted light brown
- To the Rice, Add Chicken Broth, Salsa, Onions, Garlic Power, Cumin and Chile Powder and bring to a Boil
- Once Boiling, remove roughly 1/2 of the Mixture and set aside
- Season your Chicken pieces lightly with salt and pepper and place in Dutch Oven arranged evenly across the rice mixture
- Pour the remaining rice mixture over the Chicken and cover with lid
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour until Chicken is cooked to 165F internal temperature. Be sure to monitor your coals and keep your temperature up throughout the cooking process
- Once Cooked, remove pot from fire and serve Potluck style!